Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G Brian G is offline

Default Do 4" by 2" joists exist anymore?

Mal Jackson wrote:
Hullo!

I've got a big hole where I had dry rot and wet rot and I need
replacement 4x2 joists - but I can't find any. They all seem
undersize.

Before I go traipsing around Nottingham looking for proper 4x2's, does
anybody know if it's possible to get them, or will I have to get
undersize and pack it.

Also, should I expect joists to be straight? the last lot I bought
were warped bigtime.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Mal.

Mal,

"They all seem undersize." That's because timber sizes have gone metric
since your property was built (I presume it's fairly old).

The answer if you really want to put the same size back - is to get some
timber the next 'size up' and get the timber merchant to cut to the required
dimensions.

With regards to 'bent timber' - just ask the timber merchant if you can
select your own - if its badly warped/twisted, then it's useless, mild bends
can be straightened.

Brian G