Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] DanKMTB@gmail.com is offline

Default First time home buyer

On May 31, 7:35 am, (J Buck) wrote:
wrote: I drive a regular cab pickup truck. I can't

lock my gun in the trunk

You mean the cab? Why not?

No, I mean the trunk, hence I can't use it (since there isn't one).
The way I interpreted the law was to have the gun and ammo in separate
locked compartments in the vehicle to transport it without a LTC.
That would require a separate lockable compartment, i.e. a trunk. If
I have the gun in the cab with me I'm carrying, and need a LTC. If I
had a trunk I could lock the weapon in there and keep the ammo in the
vehicle.

My concern is that I live in a rough neighborhood. I didn't know when
we moved in a little over a year ago, but it's been crazy since. Drug
busts, a home invasion, gunshots, people intentionally hitting other
people with a car, apparent gang-bangers claiming to own the street,
etc.

There are neighborhoods like that In New Hampshire?

Much to my dismay. It flashes blue out front at least a few times per
week, and it's never a traffic stop. Imagine finding this out after
buying a house within sight of where all this goes on.

On May 30, 4:57 pm, Slain wrote:
Are there any special schemes for first time home buyers?

I also do not have the 20% needed for downpayment. What are some
options I can have?

While 20% down is common and nice, with decent credit you can get by
with less. Your credit score & location will determine quite a bit, I
know someone who got a 103% loan a year or so ago to incorporate
closing costs and a new living room set into the mortgage. They had
excellent credit, however.
What I saw for options when I was looking just over a year ago was
80%, 90%, 95%, 98%, 100% & 103%.
Others have warned you of the risk, especially if you fall upon hard
times. Research and plan for unfortunate circumstances when you're
doing this.

I have one regret in my purchase, we didn't research the neighborhood
well enough. We fell in love with the house and the town so we dove
right in. I'd strongly advise you to spend from 8PM-3AM on a fair
weather Friday & Saturday night awake in a car front of the house you
want to buy. If there's a town paper with a police log get back
copies and read up. Had I done my own weekend night observation I'd
have noticed the constant issues, screaming matches, police visits,
etc. Had I read the police logs I'd have known that there is a
newsworthy incident on my block every month or so. Turns out a dead-
end street with little kids riding bikes back and forth in the day
doesn't always translate into nice evenings. Next time I do this I'll
be researching the neighborhood until I'm blue in the face.