Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Mulch substitute -- crushed brick ??

On May 30, 9:03 pm, "James" no wrote:
I have a fairly large gazebo, built on the side of a mountain, on a sloped
site. I have planted many plants all around the structure, and I need a
mulch substitute. The site is too steep for regular mulch. or straw, as
the rains will just wash it down. Same problem with installing weed
screens, any mulch on top of that will just wash away.

I have seen what looks like crushed red brick in commercial restaurants such
as McDonald's etc. It may be a lava type product, but the last time I
noticed, it looks like crush brick pieces. It is a reddish color, and it
looks really good where I have seen it.

The problem (and my question) is whether or not weeds are a big problem if
you use that product as a mulch subtitute. I would think that if you got
it 3 or 4 inches deep, weeds would not grow through it, like it will with
mulch. My thinking is that mulch retains moisture, and promotes weed
growth, and that the brick product would not hold moisture. By the way,
this is in a shady area, and the "mulch" would be more for looks that for
preserving moisture for the plants. That is not a concern or problem in my
situation.

Have any of you ever used this crushed brick product, or can any of you
offer comments or advice ??

Agree w/ the other two respondents' comments.

Only would add that imo if you think the look appropriate for the
area, it could be sufficient to hold the weed barrier in place. It
definitely won't stop weed growth on its own and indeed will be less
effective by itself than mulch by itself owing to the porous nature.
Undoubtedly those installations you've seen have barrier cloth below.