Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave dave is offline

Default VHS player fixable?

On Thu, 31 May 2007 03:32:37 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

dave wrote:
My DVD/VHS recorder (TOSHiba) has decided not to eject the tape. I
carefully managed to get it out by teasing various levers etc but then
when I put the tape back in the thing won't play even though there is
much whizzing and things moving about in there :-) The cassette loads
and the tape gets wrapped about the rorating video heads ok.

Is there something I chould check before I bin it? (Tried other tapes
- same thing). I can't see any eg belts off, connectors out , or
indeed any obvious clue. The thing is out of warrantee and I doubt
worth repair costs. I see that the actual tape playing bit seems to be
a sub-assembly screwed to a main board and I thought mabye I could get
it out to see if there's something fixable underneath. Worth doing?

Give the tyre on the idler wheel a clean, check the eject mechanism to
make sure it is not jammed. I had one that had a word drive for tape
eject that used to get itself stuck sometimes.

Ah well - looks like it's had it.
Anyone reccommend a DVD/VHS box (not too much £) that I can use to get
my tapes onto DVD :-)
Sooo many site, sooo many machines...