Posted to alt.electronics
Charles Charles is offline

Default VGA signal fading

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message

I don't think you can gracefully fade a digital signal.

Standard VGA is analog, not digital.

A quick version would require a triple ganged pot, perhaps 150 ohms
each (one for each color signal). I guess three sliders with some sort
of homemade handle to gang 'em together might do just fine.

That makes sense.

I'm concerned about shorting the signals to ground. I'll experiment with a
cheap video card and see what is required to pull the signal low without a
full short. It'd be fairly easy to set this up with a set of digital pots
too, is my thinking, and enjoy the lack of mechanical failures (as a
version2).

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/digi_pot/

Good luck and don't worry about shorting to ground with a potentiometer
(unless the load on the wiper arm is a short).