Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Telephone problem

Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:47:25 -0400, sp1ke wrote:

trm54321 wrote:

We're picking up a radio station on our wired telephone in the main
bedroom.
I assumed the phone was bad, so it was replaced with a new one,
different brand.
I also added a RS ground jack by the phone, but that didn't help
either.
The other 3 phones in the house don't have this problem.
Any ideas?
Cheers!

call the phone company and complain. they have some stuff they can put
on the line to alleviate this problem.

Best not do that until you've determined if the problem exists in
their lines. Try connecting a phone directly to the point where the
line enters your house.

Before we switched our phones to run off our Comcast cable we had a huge
amount of "common mode" 60 Hz voltage (on both sides of the incoming
phone line) which got really bad when it rained and the overhead lines
and power insulators got wet.

It didn't bother the couple of ancient "simple" phones in the house, but
the more modern ones which ran off wall warts had very annoying 60 HZ
hums. The olde phone company said they couldn't do anything about it
because they weren't going to put any more money into their copper
network since fiber optic lines were going to get installed in the next
couple of years.

So, we jumped ship to Comcast, leaving the hum behind.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)