Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Best Brush Trimmer

On May 30, 7:51 am, car crash wrote:
Hi there, I live in Ottawa, Canada. I have a 2 acre lot that needs
allot of brush trimming. I want to buy a brush trimmer with a blade
at the bottom. I hear that Husqvarna and Stihl are the only way to
go. However they are around $600 with the attachment. I also hear
that Echo is decent.

Does anyone have any experience with this specific tools and which one
is my best bet for good quality brush trimming tool.
Thanks.

I bought a Sears(Poulan) brush cutter 12 years ago to help clear 20
acres. It's still going strong. Biggest problem with brush cutters is
the blades. They come with steel blades that dull REAL fast,
especially when you hit dirt. I use the cheap 7 1/2" carbide tipped
construction blades and throw them away when they get unusable. You'll
hear a lot of "don't do that", but if you keep the rpm's down below
the blade specs, you won't have any problems. The only time I lose a
tip or two is when they get pinched in the tree I'm cutting. And I
cut trees up to 4" diameter by making a pass on both sides. They also
make a blade with a chainsaw chain welded around the circumference,
but I haven't found them to be any better than the standard steel
blades.
Red