Posted to uk.d-i-y
ST150 ST150 is offline

Default Would an electricity meter move require a new mains supply?

"Martha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I requested a meter move from my supplier from inside the front door
to outside the front door. Following the survey we were told we would
need a new mains supply, which would require yet another survey and a
cost of £690- excludes the meter move (not yet quoted for !!) and the
electricians required.

I have tried to no avail to get the supplier to explain why we need a
new mains supply (and indeed why we are responsible for paying for
this) as the house has an existing supply and we are not adding meters
(ie splitting into flats). Does anyone know of any situations as to
why we would potentially require a new mains supply in this
instance...?

No a new supply cable is not required, unless the one currently fitted is
looped off a neighbours supply, or the company wants you to pay for their
upgrade plan for the area. Years ago some houses were fed with one cable
and once storage heaters appeared it would burn out and cause house fires.
Cable jointing is not that difficult and a small cable like that takes about
15mins max to join. It's joined and then a sleeve tightened around it with
resin injected for waterproofing. In your case shortening the cable would
not be a problem as the people coming to do the job work on live cables all
the time. Unless they are cowboys.
To do your job if they have to drill holes in the wall or dig up your path
or drive/garden - it will take 2 hours max. So £690 for someone to stand
for 5mins and say "OK", then ONE electrician to sort it is way over the top.
In Liverpool in the mid-80's cable jointers did a great trade. For £50 they
would join a new cable on and give people an unmetered supply. That's until
the odd substation was overloaded and streets metered.
Scottish Power are currently upgrading meters and supplies in parts of the
country and contracting this out. I will post a picture of the state they
left my mains supply in!
It is possible to shove a wire in to the live terminal of the cutout and
cables have been left far too long. Now they have failed to keep two
appointments to replace the main fuse. It's all been fine for 20 years so
why do it now!

I would refuse to pay that amount and leave the meter where it was. Why put
it outside? Meter reading is possible remotely anyway, that's how people
are caught fiddling and those with high demand identified.