Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default A/C smell

m wrote:
I have a portable split A/C. After running A/C for about 3 hours I can
feel a nasty smell of cool air coming out of it. The filter is clean.
Is it normal (due to dry air) or should I have A/C serviced? What can
be the damage? When the cool air reaches the middle of the room and
mixes with the rest of warm air, the smell is not so nasty.

Likely the coils or some parts of the system near them have a mold
problem and need to be cleaned. You may be able to get by by spraying some
Lysol or like product in the air intake. Note: some products can interact
with the A/C parts and can damage them. I am not even sure Lysol is safe
for all equipment.

I have no idea how difficult it may be to access that area, but that
would be the best approach and do a though cleaning and disinfecting using
products suitable for A/C work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit