Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Does Drilling affect Groundwater?

On May 29, 9:00 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:

Dumb but honest question- isn't there a max number of wells 'n' septics per
square mile, before the board of health folks force city water and/or sewer?
(Variable depending on local soil characteristics and water tables and
subsurface flow patterns, of course.) Or do they let things ride until water
samples start failing e.coli tests and people start getting sick, or the
wells run dry?

Depends totally on locality in me experience. Until quite recently
here, there was no zoning of any kind nor even enforced health
ordinances in the county outside of incorporated cities in the more
rural/agrarian counties. It had never been an issue until quite
recently. Now there is at least a modicum of control.

As noted before, as for drilling residential wells there are no
limitations that I am aware of other than the separation from septic
fields from the health standpoint. There is a "closed" area for
further agricultural or industrial wells, however.

I suspect like most related questions the closer to metro areas one
gets, the more restrictions/limitations one will find is a quite
general rule...