Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Does Drilling affect Groundwater?

dpb wrote:
On May 28, 9:58 pm, Robert Allison wrote:

car crash wrote:

I have my home near a new subdivision that is being installed. I am
on well water and have a septic system. A company is planning on
drilling holes for groundwater in the area and obviously digging the
ground up for foundations for all the new homes. Can someone please
tell me if all this digging and drilling can have an adverse affect on
my well which is about 200 feet from all the digging that is going to
take place.

It will have the same effect on your well that yours when you
drilled it. Ask the people that in your area before you what
effect your well and your house had on them.

If so, what can happen to my water from others digging and drilling so
close?

Same effect yours had on the existing ones in the area.

Is there anything I can do to stop it or protect myself from the big
companies that dig nearby?

You could buy up all the properties around you and keep them
just as they are now.

This doesn't sound like you, Bob...

I am probably projecting.... I have been working on a project
in a neighborhood where everyone is very concerned about every
little thing that you do.

We don't know for sure there were any (at least close) neighbors
before. The incremental effect of one additional residential well as
opposed to the addition of a fairly large number of individual or a
few larger, communal wells isn't necessarily the same. Again, all
depends on what is actually happening and what the local aquifer
characteristics are...

Agreed, but at what point do you get to tell your neighbors
that own the land around you (whether they be individuals or a
corporation) that there is enough development and they have to
stop using their property because it may have an effect on
you? One does not have the right to do that. Every bit of
development affects neighboring properties in some way.

I'll agree it isn't too likely the OP will have a problem, but if it
were I, I'd be doing some investigating, too...

My problem with the OP is that as long as the proper
procedures are followed, there isn't anything that they can do
to stop progress. I would hate to have someone try to tell me
what I can do on my property (or especially what I can't do).
That is why I live out in the country.

And, of course, if had the opportunity would have tried to buy up the
area, too, although sounds too late now.

I wish I could buy up all the property around me, but I can't
afford to pay all the taxes just to be able to keep progress
at bay.

My apologies to the OP,... you kind of struck a nerve with me
when I was at a weak moment.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.