Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Herringbone Tiling

On May 29, 12:52 pm, RicodJour wrote:
dpb wrote:

You do _not_ need lines that close. ...

I only intended to indicate a mark for the first tile offset to get
the measurement, not to run full-length lines (although, granted I
didn't say that explicitly.. ).

As you noted, it would behoove Greg to lay out a sizable section
(enough certainly to visualize the final result) dry before committing
any tile to mastic...

... You really don't need
more than the one or two perpendicular lines and they're only there to
establish the initial offset from one course to the next but one --
again, assuming you're splitting the tile offset by half the tile
dimension (plus grout of course). That line is the target point for
the middle of the grout line for the next course that is aligned with
the first to keep you running straight ahead instead of letting the
pattern shift as you proceed.

Indeed. There usually is one major line of sight, so you really only
have to concentrate on that line. Usually it's the longest line in
the room, or the line from the other room through the center of the
bathroom doorway.

The books will make it a lot clearer. ...

So you're saying I shouldn't be writing a book, eh, Rico?

(I never read no stinkin' book, learned a great deal on tile at an
uncle's side who had an Armstrong dealership doing interior
stuff...worked for him quite a bit while in college as could get down
there in short time over the weekends. Did a major renovation of Bill
Lear's (the Learjet Lear) house that included two months' of tile work
just on the baths...) The master bath had a humongous spa w/o a
single flat surface or square corner in the whole thing and a mosaic
pattern to lay. What a pita _that_ was!!!