Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoothing/Sanding concrete on patio.

On May 29, 12:18 am, Mike Paulsen wrote:
wrote:
Now the patio looks good, but I see that he "broomed" it at the end,
so the patio is not "smooth". I had not expected this and I guess I
was hoping for a smooth finish (as in a garage floor).

Sideswalks, driveways, and patios are normally broomed. Smooth cement
can get really slippery when wet. It would most likely be a building
code violation and a huge liability risk for the contractor to leave it
smooth.

If it's a code violation there must be one hell of a lot of places
that are in violation. Like my stamped concrete patio, which is
smooth. Concrete in applications like this can be finished so that
it's not ultra smooth, without creating a broom look effect. I
wouldn't want a broom roughed up surface on my patio either. This
shows the importance of being around when work like this is done and
of spelling out everything in a written contract. You can probably
smooth it with a floor sander.