Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Cheapie 2.1 Speaker Set with static in left speaker

"Peale" wrote in message
. 196...
wrote in
ups.com:

On 29 May, 15:43, Peale wrote:

While dumpster diving I found a 2.1 speaker set. Static in the left
speaker.

I swapped speakers, problem persisted.

in which speaker?

LOL...in the left speaker. If the problem traveled, I'd have found my
problem. ;-)

Just short the audio out at the various points in the signal chain
(dont short power amp output tho). When shorting before a stage made
no difference & shorting after it killed crackling, you know where its
coming from. Prodding with a bit of plastic also helps locate if its a
dry joint.

I touched up every joint I could, esp. the connectors on the PCB.

What do you mean, short the points? Take a wire and jump the signal
closer along in the chain to the output?

No, jump the signal to ground. You're effectively killing the audio signal
input from that point on. If the crackling persists, that means it's being
introduced downstream of the point you've shorted. Just keep moving
downstream along the signal path until the crackling goes away. The
component just upstream of your jumper point is the likely culprit.