Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Help with new Hot water heater

Of course you could try setting limits and actually directing your
teenager's habits. O, I forgot. It's no longer a parent's right or duty to
direct they must just suffer whatever the princess inflicts on them.

"Michael" wrote in message
We have an old AO Smith 40 gallon gas water heater which seems to have
some leakage issues.

We have been anticipating replacing it for some time now but I need some
advice.

There are five of us in the house (including my 15 year old daughter, who
takes very extended showers!)

The current unit seems to poop out after 2 or 3 showers and we will not
run the dishwasher or washing machine in anticipation of showering.

For a new unit, should we go with a larger unit (75 gallon) or are we
better off with a smaller 50 or 65 gallon with a faster recovery time?
What about the "instant," tankless water heaters?

What gives the best performance, balancing efficiency and hot water
availability?