Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default overvoltage

On Mon, 28 May 2007 00:10:20 -0700, w_tom wrote:

On May 27, 8:10 am, "Jack" wrote:
I've blown a few power supplies on my home PC. The PC is connecting to a
working surge protector. It was suggested to me that I could have an
over-voltage problem. I thought a surge protector handled that. How would
I know if I have an over-voltage problem?

This post will contrast reasonable answers verses irrelevant
answers. First, why do you know previous supplies failed? What
specifically failed? Do you have numbers for that failure or just
assume? As other posters discuss, an answer requires numbers from
that meter. Not only AC voltages; also DC voltages from supply output.
Why? Was the supply defective or just undersized? Or is the power
supply controller intermittent? Did previous advisers (before you
posted here) even know about a power supply controller? Without the
meter, none of those questions can be answered.

One wonders if you are in the military. You seem to think all
powersupplies 'must' conform to certain standards. No they do not have
to. They can be just as cheap and junky as their manufacturer desires them
to be.