Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Patio paver over drainage pipe - becomes more mysterious

On 26 May 2007 05:15:46 -0700, Geo wrote:
-snip-
What's the best way to drain it? Should I slope everything to a low
spot and drop a drain tile in it to daylight?

Pretty much-- I like a variation on 'french drains' - essentially a
ditch filled with gravel. If it were me, I'd probably dig a ditch
about 8" to foot square- line it with 4' wide landscape cloth, throw
down a couple inches of gravel- place some cheap corrugated 4" pipe in
it- fill over and around the pipe with gravel; fold the landscape
cloth over, and fill the top with topsoil. A corrugated pipe covered
with a sock might be as effective and would be a lot easier, but I'm a
creature of habit.

I've found that even a couple inches of cover will withstand
occasional vehicle traffic. If it is likely to be driven over,
though, bury it at least a foot deep. [remember the septic tank
pumper- and don't dig up your leach field]

Jim