Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding/Staining Canoe Gunnels

"lwhaley" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 27, 6:25 pm, wrote:
I have read your procedures.
My comments a All is right at the exception that I would avoid using
stain and toothpicks.
Instead of toothpicks I would drill out the rotten wood and use taper
plugs
made of the same wood with two part epoxy. Then I would drill pilot holes
received the (fasteners) SS screws.

Gotcha, better idea than toothpicks with stain. Hopefully I will not
need plugs but can do if necessary. I haven't use those before but it
looks like I need a bit to cut the plugs and a bit to cut the holes.
Who's a good supplier for those type of cutters?

I usually buy the tapered plug cutter at Lee Valley.
Check http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42288
You can also purchase similar cutter at lower price at other tool supply
stores.