Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fix leaking valve

On May 28, 10:01�pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
CompleteNewb wrote:
In the process of putting in a new water heater, I shut off the cold water
at a point much farther from the water heater than its own cold water feed
valve (there seemed to still be a steady trickle through the one right above
the heater, no matter how tightly I turned it off).

The one far away was VERY hard to turn at first (has a lot of that
greenish-white corrosion around the handle, too), but it eventually worked.
however, now there's a steady drip coming out from where the stem goes into
the packing nut (I THINK I have the terminology right here; the drip is
coming out along that little post that the wheel turns).

So am I correct that my first course of action is shutting off the main
water to the house (THAT valve is about 5 feet to the left, after a few
elbows, and it is also pretty caked up with green and white gunk, so I hope
to hell I don't run into the same issue there), removing the wheel, and
looking at that stuff in there? *I've looked at the anatomy of valves, and
can't see why removing the wheel would allow the post to slide out. *Does
the stem and all the stuff it's attached to just slide out of the whole
thing? *Or will it be simpler to loosen the packing nut (that big bolt that
appears to attach the wheel/handle and stem to the big meaty "T" section of
the whole valve assembly) and just put a new wheel/vale assembly in? *Or, do
I need to remove that whole big heavy "T" part and solder in a new one?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge here; I've been the muscle on a lot of
carpentry projects, but have nil experience with plumbing. *Any help,
advice, etc., would be greatly appreciated. *I am a careful, neurotic, and
poor new homeowner.

Thanks for any help, and for reading.

* *You may be able to stop the drip merely by tightening
the packing nut.

* *Don't attempt to disassemble the valve.

* *If tightening doesn't get it, *remove the handle/wheel
and then unscrew the packing nut. *Wrap packing material
around the stem a few turns and then reinstall the nut and tighten.http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp...ODUCT_ID=3083A

Jim- Hide quoted text -

yeah tighten packing nut a 1/2 turn, quick easy fix.

i have been replacing all my valves with ball valves they last forever
and dont corrode