Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does Drilling affect Groundwater?

"car crash" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have my home near a new subdivision that is being installed. I am
on well water and have a septic system. A company is planning on
drilling holes for groundwater in the area and obviously digging the
ground up for foundations for all the new homes. Can someone please
tell me if all this digging and drilling can have an adverse affect on
my well which is about 200 feet from all the digging that is going to
take place.

May or may not. No one can say for sure, but it is unlikely. If they do
cause damage, they may have some responsibility to fix it.

If so, what can happen to my water from others digging and drilling so
close?

If they happen to his the same veine of water, if they are up stream, you
may get some crud in the water until it settles. As for digging the
foundations, tha tis not a worry. They wont' be deep enough to affect you.

Is there anything I can do to stop it or protect myself from the big
companies that dig nearby?

You can protest, you can lay down in the street to block the equipment you
can carry a picket sign, you can pay your life savings to a lawyer. End
result will be about the same. Look on the positive side. Most builders
don't want to aggravate the neighbors and will go out of their way to avoid
problems. Some will even help you. When they build a house across the
street, they took down some trees and gave me the wood for my stove. Even
hauled it over. They wanted to check where the sewer line went so asked to
use my cleanout. They notice a trickle from a leaking toilet so they fixed
it for me. I had a depression in my lawn so they filled it in for me.