Posted to alt.home.repair
Old_Boat Old_Boat is offline

Default Workmanship Question - Legal rights

"cc" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 28, 2:01 pm, "Art" wrote:
This is so bad, report it to the state attorney general office. Don't
let
them touch your house any more. Call a lawyer. Check with the BBB if
you
haven't already. Wonder if they cut any wires.

"Old_Boat" wrote in message

Hired an insulation company to put foam insulation in my walls. The
installer had to drill holes in the outside of the house to put the
foam
in. Long story short, he drilled 20 holes through the wall in one
bedroom
all the way through, 15 holes thorough the bathroom wall popping off
the
ceramic tiles on the inside walls, drilled through 4 side wall
registers,
and one other place in the walls. They want to come fix it using the
same
guy that messed it up. I am not comfortable with this response. I know
they tile will not be able to be matched as it is 50 years old. Can I
demand they retile the entire bathroom so the tile matches? Any ideas
what
my legal rights are with this situation. Can I demand that they pay for
competent company to make the repairs?

LJ- Hide quoted text -

Spent three years pursuing faulty workmanship in a new house build,
supported by extensive written documentation (contracts, addendums,
faxes, phone logs), spent $36K in attorney's fees for $90K in damages
to new house, ended in contractor settling out of court for only $30K,
of which he paid $10K. Had to go back to court to reinforce payment of
the remaining $20K, of which he has paid nothing and the courts cannot
enforce it. Lesson: there is no protection in court, the only
protection you have in this country is to make sure you are dealing
with a human being and not merely an excuse for mankind. The
contractors understand how far they can push you, how far the courts
will back you, and how insufficient enforcement is. Good luck.

Yes I have a signed contract. It does not specifically address damage caused
by the contractor only that claims against workmanship will be settled by
the American construction industry arbitration rules.
Yes I saw his insurance and bonding paperwork before I signed the contract.
I will call the owner of the company tomorrow and see what he says. After I
saw the holes, I checked them all out and verified that he did not cut any
wires.
Evan if you think this is funny **** then I hope you never have a thing like
this happen to you. I have spent the last year and a half working on this
house only to have it trashed. It may be funny to you, but it aint funny to
me.I did check out the company before going with them and they did have a
good rep. Seems that the guy drilling the holes F#$%#ed up. Guess he was in
a hurry to get off for the holiday weekend.
Thank you all for the good suggestions

LJ