Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Home Deck Post Repair

"Decked" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi. Looks like I am in for some experience. I have a nice deck,
which is supported by 6 x 6 posts. Unfortunately, I have found that
two of the posts are simply driven into the ground, and not on a
concrete footing or pier. In addition, those two posts are, you
guessed it, rotting out. In order to replace the posts I would have
to remove the deck "skirt" and some decking, and then detach the post
from the deck joist, where it is nailed (not lag-bolted) to the post.
I don't see any real way to remove all the nails without damaging the
attaching pieces. If possible, I think a lap joint cut into the deck
post would work well. I'll have to pour a footing, but after that is
done, I think I could put in a lap jointed post and lag the two posts
together. I'd sure like to hear some comments about this idea.
Thanks.

That is a viable solution. TOH showed Tom Silva (Or was it Norm?) doing the
same thing to an internal beam on a barn a couple of years ago- their web
site may have details. If the post is hidden, I'd consider using some thick
steel gusset plates on both sides, in addition to the lap joint. Just bolt
the hell out of it, including a couple bolts top and bottom through solid
post above and below the lap joint. Belt and suspenders, etc.

Other alternative, that may be cheaper and easier, if the rotten part
doesn't go too high. Cut back the bottom of post to solid wood, and instead
of a flush footer, pour a sonotube of rebar'd concrete high enough to meet
the bottom of the now-shorter post. Make sure to use a J-bolt and proper
standoff (Simpson or similar) on the new bottom joint, whichever way you go.
They make L-shaped ones with a flange you can lag into the hidden side,
since you won't be able to end-bolt or drop center-drilled post over a rod.

Standard precautions about jacking the deck to take the load off the post
being worked on apply. Decks will usually flex an inch or so with little
problem.

aem sends...

aem sends...