Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Water Hammer Problem?

wrote:

Hi All,

I've got a 60-year old house with a water hammer problem. The hammer
is particularly noticeable with the cold water line and the two
toilets (might be with the dishwasher hot water line too, but I
haven't noticed this). The water pressure also seems high. I realize
the long-term solution is to replace the pressure regulator, but due
to its location this will be a nasty several-day project (previous
owners finished the basement and drywalled over it).

I'm wondering if I could address it in the meanwhile with some water
hammer arresters? Can I just sweat them into some exposed copper lines
I have? How many do I need to put in? Does one hot and one cold do it,
or do I need to scatter them around? The house is plumbed with copper,
but the way it's been done it's a hassle to get at the toilet
plumbing.

Some people have also suggested an expansion tank. Is that a solution?
How do they work?

Finally, I could also probably put in a couple of 5-foot air columns
in the utility room. I realize they gradually fill with water, but
maybe if I put a stop-cock on the bottom I could drain them from time
to time?

Thanks in advance - Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

If the present regulator (PRV) is stuck open,
consider leaving it in place and simply adding a
second one where it is accessible.

You do need an expansion tank (thermal expansion)
after the PRV to control overpressure due to
water expansion in the water heater (assumes tank-type).

The exp tank *may* help. Try it.
Otherwise, your 5 foot columns are a good idea.

Jim