Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Sanding/Staining Canoe Gunnels

lwhaley wrote:

I appreciate your confidence.

Trust me, it's not a big deal.

Yes, I could do that but I won't. I
haven't taken it apart yet but I expect the wood to be sound. Lew, I
can buy the mouldings that create the gunnels from the company.
Problem: they are 19 feet long and have to come by truck freight.
The cost for the freight alone is more than a vinyl replacement.

LTL freight charges for long skinny stuff is a bitch.

I don't use stain on a boat.

That's fine but you don't suggest any alternative.

Since I don't use stain on a boat, have no alternate.

The Watco, from
what I understand, is made and designed for outdoor use. Not only
does the company reccomend it but my neighbor, who is a canoe and
woodworking expert, also suggested the same product. I am not hung up
on the Watco but I would like to hear the alteratives.

That's harsh Lew and I hope your are wrong. I doesn't look right now,
IMO. The only sanding I plan to do will be with the grain and is only
intended to bring the surfaces flush, which they are not now.
You need a small (4") right angle sander for that job.

Can you post a link to such a sander?

Any decent right angle grinder equipped with a sanding pad.

Personally, I like Milwaukee right angle tools.

Check Amazon.

As an alternate, a corded 1,100 RPM drill and some 40 grit flap wheels
would also do a pretty good job.

The screws are not attached to the glass. They merely pass through
the glass so that they can screw into the interior gunnel. The
gunnels are screwed to each other, not to the glass. The glass is
merely trapped between the gunnels.

Have found that sheet metal screws seem to do a better job than wood
screws for boats which is why I use them and suggested them to you.

I am planning to use the existing SS wood screw unless they are
damaged.

I'd at least replace then fasteners, they are low cost especially for a
job like this.

Lew