Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default OT ish Darwin Award

Huge wrote:
On 2007-05-26, Lobster wrote:
Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , Huge
writes
On 2007-05-25, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
First call of my daughters shift today was 'stabbing in Thamesmead
tower block, police on scene'. Not an uncommon call for that area.
Did he become an official nominee, or a near miss ?
Nah! Survived with minor injuries, treated on site, not even blued
in.
The verb "to blue" is interesting
It's taken me ages to learn 'ambulance talk'. Typically my daughter
will
arrive home & say something like "had a 53YOM with DIB so we bagged
him,
got him in the truck & blued him in. Rest of the shift was white work".
London ambulance exists on acronyms & abbreviations.

Translated; we had a 53 year old man with difficulty in breathing, so we
used a respirator, got him in the ambulance & took him to hospital using
blue lights & sirens. The rest of the shift was patient transfers.

It's a world on its own.
"Bagged" is well known to anyone who watches ER, 'cos they say it, too.

'Bag him' and 'central line' are about the only comprehensible words in
the programme. 90% of the medical jargon and a lot of the ordinary
conversation is either mumbled or spoken so fast I can't understand it.
SWMBO listens using headphones, but says it doesn't help all that much.

What about "CBC, Chem-7 - STAT!!!!"

That's easy - CBC is a "complete blood count", and "stat" is an abbreviation for
"statinum" meaning "now" or "immediately" in Latin. (Of course...)

"chem 7" I had to look up. (More blood tests).

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~kemmer/Word...n_medical.html

Tsk - yes I knew that ;-) - was just giving an example of something
shouted out with sufficient frequency and clarity for the OP presumably
to be able to discern!

David