Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Door Entry System Fault

On May 28, 6:34 am, Daljit wrote:
Hi there

I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine: buzzer
rings when visitor arrives; visitors can hear me speak; i can let
people enter the building; and privacy switch works. However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

I had a look at a neighbours entry phone which works perfectly and i
found it had a small black box (about an inch square) with two wires
in the casing. The box seemed to be added-on (perhaps as a result of
a repair or modification) as is wasn't securly fastened. The two
wires were hooked to the system.

Other than this box, the wiring in my phone is identical to my
neighbour's.

I know this description is really vague, but does anyone have any
suggestions what this little black box does, and more importantly,
what it's called?

thanks

Daljit

from buffalo ny:
so they can or cannot hear you at the door?
what is the proper function of the privacy switch?
if yours is a single separate home, not multiple apartments talking to
the same entry, depending on what devices you are using, the power
supply voltage, the condition of the outdoor speaker, the condition of
a possible outdoor capacitor, the pushbutton above, the doorbell
button, each device and section of the controls must be tested with a
digital multimeter at the neighbor's home and compared to the
identical measurements in your home.
depending on whether you have a dedicated control unit above, what
voltage available, how many wires available, and what appearance you
desire, it may be possible to replace a handset above talking to
speaker at the door with a two-wire battery operated push to talk
intercom with master above and speaker/capacitor below.
see there is a separate pair of wires for the buzz unlock; a separate
pair of battery intercom wires; a separate transmitted or shielded
video wire from front door camera to upstairs tv set.