Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Al is offline

Default Battery Powered Digital Thermostat for window unit

In article ,
Gary Tait wrote:

Ethan wrote in
oups.com:

I currently have a 110 AC unit that I have in my bedroom. The
thermostat in the unit is not digital and is effected by the outside
temp. I have a Hunter 44260 battery powered digital thermostat
http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/produ...=thermo&model=

442
60&productId=18&pageID=7....Is there a way that I can set the
thermostat up to an AC outlet that I plug the window unit into that
would switch the power on and off to the outlet? The thermostat has
the following connections G RC RH Y and W. Here is a website to a
setup similar to what I am trying to do but it is not a battery
powered thermostat.
http://www.instructables.com/id/EU6D...GF10/?ALLSTEPS If anyone
has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

You need a relay with contacts capable of controlling that unit, and a
24VAC coil and a 24V trasnformer. You MIGHT be able to get a burner
control from a furnace to operate it (short the eye). I have a typical
24V electronic wall thermostat controlling a cooling fan that way (but
not an A/C).

I have mine connected to Brown (RC) and yellow, with red (RH) and brown
(RC) jumpered.
Check the manual for yours to be sure

There is an article in the March Issue of "Nuts & Volts" magazine which
has a project that meets your need exactly. Check it in your library or
order a copy on line.

Al