Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Roofing Question

"Dottie" wrote in message
oups.com...
One of the roofing companies I am getting an estimate from uses
CertainTeed Landmark shingles. I had never heard of them before. Are
they comparable to GAF and Owens Corning?

Yes, CertainTeed has been around for over 100 years and has good products.
I have them on my house.

Also - my husband and I are unable to agree on something. He thinks
the shingles sold as being okay up to 80 mph are sufficient for us
(Tampa Bay area) and I want the 110 mph kind. The 110 mph kind cost
$1000 more (approximately) but I figure the peace of mind is worth
it. Anyone here have any actual experience with hurricane winds and
shingles. Thanks.

I don't know if the price difference is good or bad since that depends on
the size of your roof. The only time you need the 110 shingles is when the
wind is over 85 mph. If I lived where you live, I'd spend the extra and get
them.