Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Another Roofing Question

clipped

If you still have the link for Miami-Dade I would love to have it. I
called our Pinellas Co. building dept and the man who talked to me
didn't have answers to many of my questions.

I am in the non-evac zone. We have been advised to brace the gable
end (one end only, the other has a cathedral ceiling and braces
itself) but nobody wants to do it....one person suggested we close up
the vents at each end of the house to keep the wind out. He thought
the air brought in by the soffit would be enough if we got a vent
ridge along the top of the house.

Our next door neighbor has two very large oak trees but there aren't
any in our yard. The limbs have been trimmed so they aren't directly
over my house. It's still "iffy".

Here is the link:
http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcode/pc-search_app.asp

The gist of the issue with live oaks is when there looks like a "seam"
in the bark between two joined limbs, rather than continuous bark all
around...means it is two separate trees and much weaker than one tree
with two limbs, if that makes sense.