Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default H&S Assessment

cynic wrote:
Is this yet another example of a health and safety officer justifying
his/her job by putting something on paper? How many incidents (if any)
have occurred since the kitchen was put into use?

Zero. In fact, in all those years, the accident book has got just two
extremely minor entries.

If you do have an RCD at the consumer unit seving the kitchen circuits
you must never have had a problem with faulty appliances or earth
leakage.

Quite possible - we are pretty civilised and don't tend to do 'silly'
things!

I really can't see everyone testing the RCD every time they plug the
kettle in. Would fitting them really make any difference to safety?

Why should you? repeated operation would be unreasonable and introduce
unneccessary wear and tear. Three or four times a year is more than
adequate and in any case only tests the mechanism of the RCD not the
protection given.
If you simply provide an RCD at the consumer unit and it protects
other sockets there may be loss of data in the event computer supplies
are fed from it.

The only trips I have known have been on lighting circuits when bulbs fail.

Swapping to 30mA RCD protected sockets would avoid a lot of other
problems if you decide to go down the route but beware - if there is
an RCD at the supply end ot the cable and it is a 30mA unit it will
not discriminate and all that will happen is you will trip both
simultaneously. If this is the case you could instead provide a 32A
RCBO feeding a 4mm T&E raidial dedicated to serving only the two
sockets involved.

Bloomin' expensive approach.

Thanks,

--