Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default overvoltage

Jack wrote:
Hello,
I've blown a few power supplies on my home PC. The PC is connecting to a
working surge protector. It was suggested to me that I could have an
over-voltage problem. I thought a surge protector handled that. How would
I know if I have an over-voltage problem? does this make any sense?
Thanks.

I'm involved with a local access TV
studio that had a similar problem. We blew
the power supply in a color laser
printer twice, a power supply in a PC and a
surge protector. In one case the UPS
actually switched on a high voltage ...
seems
many don't. Anyway, it turned out the
be a bad neutral from a 3 phase
transformer.
I actually measured 180 volts at one of
the outlets.
This is in a commercial building and the
transformer was mounted up in the ceiling
area of the TV studio .... humming all
the time. Anyway the electrical department
determined that the transformer was bad,
so they replaced it putting it in an
equipment
room where it should have been
originally. I'm really not so sure that
it was the
transformer ... it could have been a bad
connection somewhere. But anyway,
new transform = no humming and the
problem hasn't come back. As others have
said, measure the voltage at the outlet.