Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Another Roofing Question

Dottie wrote:
One of the roofing companies I am getting an estimate from uses
CertainTeed Landmark shingles. I had never heard of them before. Are
they comparable to GAF and Owens Corning?

Also - my husband and I are unable to agree on something. He thinks
the shingles sold as being okay up to 80 mph are sufficient for us
(Tampa Bay area) and I want the 110 mph kind. The 110 mph kind cost
$1000 more (approximately) but I figure the peace of mind is worth
it. Anyone here have any actual experience with hurricane winds and
shingles. Thanks.

I've only experienced 70 mph winds, Tampa Bay area. That is as fast as
I ever care to see. Lots of shingles gone, including concrete, in our
neighborhood. Due to installation problems with our roof, the roofer
had been back to glue down the tabs - probably saved ours, although we
did lose a large skylight from our atrium.

I would be inclined to believe that the difference between 80 and 110
mph will give you more to worry about than shingles. The extra $1,000
might be better spent to put on hurricane straps if you don't already
have them.

How near the water are you? Above sea level? Trees near the house? I
went to a couple of hurricane seminars, and the most interesting speaker
was the county arborist. Shingles won't be worth dirt if you have
1,000# of live oak coming down ) He illustrated features about trees
that make them dangerous, other than the obvious dead limbs.

We are on the water, so if there was a direct hit, I would leave for
higher ground. A 12' storm surge, at high tide, would flood our condo.
A 20' storm surge with 20' waves would be a problem for neighbors on
fourth floor. Another interesting tidbit is that in highrises, the
winds are faster than at ground level. Hurricane shutters here a must,
IMO. My hubby went out at the height of that storm to retrieve a
recycling barrel, very heavy, that was blowing down the street. He is
exceedingly strong, but it was a struggle for him to get it back home.

In one of the floods up north - Jersey? - I saw a TV spot about a guy
who put plastic sheet and sandbags all the way around his house and
about four feet up. His neighbors were all flooded out, but he had no
water in his house. I contemplated something similar before we
evacuated, but hubby didn't go for it )