Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Another Roofing Question

On May 27, 12:30 pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 27, 11:51 am, Dottie wrote:

One of the roofing companies I am getting an estimate from uses
CertainTeed Landmark shingles. I had never heard of them before. Are
they comparable to GAF and Owens Corning?

Also - my husband and I are unable to agree on something. He thinks
the shingles sold as being okay up to 80 mph are sufficient for us
(Tampa Bay area) and I want the 110 mph kind. The 110 mph kind cost
$1000 more (approximately) but I figure the peace of mind is worth
it. Anyone here have any actual experience with hurricane winds and
shingles. Thanks.

CertainTeed is at least as good as the two you mentioned.

Your husband, as you are well aware, is generally wrong.
I would imagine, for peace of mind, you'd want the higher rated
shingles, and I'd be surprised if Florida's code doesn't require the
higher wind resistance rating.

Regardless of which shingles you choose, the nailing pattern is
important. Most shingle manufacturer's require 6 nails per shingle in
high wind areas. Normally, there are just four. Florida also
prohibits using staples, so look for the What?-Staples?!-Staples-suck!-
and-no-one-uses-them-anymore reaction from the contractor when you ask
about them.

Two other people on my street are interested in new roofs, that is, we
want to get them before hurricane season gets here though none of us
currently have leaky roofs. One man we know got a new roof this past
week and he got the heaviest one (110) offered and I heard the price
was $14,000. It was Owens-Corning.

One neighbor got an estimate in the mail yesterday from a company that
uses the CertainTeed kind. It was for the premium (80 mph I
think)...the estimate $8500. The company rep is coming out Tues. to
give me an estimate so I have been looking through my friend's
material to see how I liked it. I am getting another estimate later
in the week from a company that uses GAF everything. I got his name
off My Safe FL home web site but don't know anybody who has used him.
The company which uses CertainTeed has done a lot of work around my
neighborhood ... I see their trucks a lot. I've only talked to one
person who used them and he was satisfied with their work.