Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What have I done to my reciever?!?!?

On 27 May, 00:55, "Fred Mann" wrote:

Hello,
I have speakers all over my house, wired to two seperate receivers . One
speaker is wired to both receivers. This has not caused a problem for years.
I usually remember to turn one receiver off before turning the other one on.
But occasionally, I have forgotten to do this -- also no problem. Until last
night, that is. I powered up my second receiver while the first one was
still on and played some music through it and burned up something in the
first receiver. It started making a hum in the speakers and clearly smelled
of burning electronics. So I turned it off. When I got back to receiver one,
it too was non-responsive on both sets of speakers. It was still powered on
but nothing will come out of the speakers now. Not even through the
headphones. I took the top off and tested the three fuses that I could see
with a volt meter. All worked fine.
So ... is there anything obvious I should check, or should I just buy a new
one?
I hope I provided enough info.

How silly. Next time put a couple of 4 or 8 ohm Rs onto your speaker,
and connect one amp via one of them and the other via the other.

NT