Posted to alt.home.repair

Default overvoltage

On May 27, 8:16�am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jack" wrote in message

Hello,
I've blown a few power supplies on my home PC. *The PC is connecting to a
working surge protector. *It was suggested to me that I could have an
over-voltage problem. *I thought a surge protector handled that. *How
would I know if I have an over-voltage problem? *does this make any sense?
Thanks.

Surge protectors handle surges, not higher than normal voltage. Get a meter
and see exactly what you do have. *Do this a few times a day. *When I
started replacing light bulbs too frequently, I did that and found we had up
to 140 volts for a time in the morning. *The power company denied it, but
once I made the call, it never happened again. They also replaced some
equipment at the nearby sub station.

hows the dust level in your home. power supplies attract dust, which
prevents proper cooling and causes power supply failures. plus a
underlying main computer problem can cause power supply failures. you
might up the wattage of your supply espically if you have added cards
to your computer.

do check your line voltage, but that may not be it