Posted to alt.home.repair
newman newman is offline

Default Central Air- Lennox?

Frankly Zyp, that sounds like a fair idea. No one has ever offered this
kind of proposition.

And No, I do not know what kind of time and effort is required for calcs.

I would be more likely to do business with a contractor who spent some time
doing these calcs and making good recommendations.
"Zephyr" wrote in message
news:cMydnREFe_0hO8XbnZ2dnUVZ_sSmnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
I'm not sure if you "Newman" realize the amount of time a contractor would
have to invest to perform a ACCA Manual J load calc..... and give you what?
the information from that work for free? Doubt it. What's the alternative?
Give the client a "paper estimate" based on what's perceived by asking you
"the client" questions, looking over what you have, and "guesstimate" what
you need. Then, if you like the contractor's price, sign up with him, and
be sure he performs the necessary calculations before he starts the job,
and, also performs a ACCA Manual D to design "your system" based on those
calculations and your specific needs.

--
Zyp

"newman" wrote in message
I think the biggest consideration is finding a competent, honest

contractor
who will determine exactly what kind and size unit that you need.

My outside unit is 18 years old (Trane) and still working Ok, but in the
summer my electricity bill is really high and my unit seems to run a lot.

I have considered replacing the unit with a higher SEER (currently have a

12
SEER), but each of the AC contractors that I have talked to just come in,
look at the old unit, then give me a paper estimate. None have bothered

measure rooms, look at the attic, do load calculations, etc. One of the
contractors that I talked to advertises heavily on the radio in my area,
Dallas, but all he did was take a quick look around at my old unit, give

me
a $$ estimate, and ask when I wanted to start the installation. I did not
call him back

Hopefully, you will have better luck in finding a good contractor.
"KOS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I am planning on putting in central air in my house. Been looking
at diff units. Not familiar with Lennox- anyone deal with them before?
How are the units?? THANKS!