Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default What is this pipe?

mm wrote:
In a townhouse n'hood near mine, many of the houses have a pipe
coming out of the wall, and I wonder what it is.

It's a white plastic 4" right angle pipe connector that comes out
about 4 inches** and then turns to point down. Nothing is connected
at that point. It's at the same level as the garden faucet so I
guess it comes out of the ceiling of the basement.

**It only comes out as far as the right-angle piece puts it. There
is no other pipe showing.

Some rows of homes have this, but others don't. The ones built
maybe around 1997 have them, and the ones built 2 or 3 years later
don't. (There are some others that don't that I thought were also
built the same year as the first group, but if the construction
year determines if there is a pipe or not, maybe I'm wrong.)

I've met a couple of the people who live there, but the odds one of
them knows what the pipe is for seem slim to me.

Clothes dryer vent maybe.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...