Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred Mann Fred Mann is offline

Default What have I done to my reciever?!?!?

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
Hello,
I have speakers all over my house, wired to two seperate receivers . One
speaker is wired to both receivers. This has not caused a problem for
years.
I usually remember to turn one receiver off before turning the other one
on.
But occasionally, I have forgotten to do this -- also no problem. Until
last
night, that is. I powered up my second receiver while the first one was
still on and played some music through it and burned up something in the
first receiver. It started making a hum in the speakers and clearly
smelled
of burning electronics. So I turned it off. When I got back to receiver
one,
it too was non-responsive on both sets of speakers. It was still powered
on
but nothing will come out of the speakers now. Not even through the
headphones. I took the top off and tested the three fuses that I could

see
with a volt meter. All worked fine.
So ... is there anything obvious I should check, or should I just buy a
new
one?
I hope I provided enough info.

If the fuses are ok then you blew the outputs. Fixable if they're decent
recievers, but probably not worth it if they're worth $100 or so.

Next time install some sort of switch on the output so that only one
reciever can be connected to the speakers at a time. I'm really surprised
you didn't blow up one or both amps sooner, even if one was turned off.

Thanks James!
Just curious ... what would actually have been destroyed in this scenario? I
believe every single speaker output was rendered non-functional - even
outputs that weren't hooked up. Also, there was no burning smell on the
"good" receiver.