Posted to rec.woodworking
Barry Lennox Barry Lennox is offline

Default cantilevered bookshelves

On Sat, 26 May 2007 14:45:42 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

I thought the proper term was a stress skin panel. I did not get
any Googles on that term for a shelf.

The idea would be to make a lattice work shape of the shelf you
want, a bit like a hollow core door. This lattice would be thin
slats that would easily lend themselves to your curved shape, the
slats can be half lapped. Leave a void on the side that will
attach to the wall. Glue a skin, such as 1/4" ply to both faces
of the lattice. Attach a block that is a tight fit in the void
pocket(s) that you created to the wall surface. Slide the
finished shelf onto the ledger blocks and pin/screw/through bolt
if you want it removable; glue and clamp for permanent
installation.

I hope I described it well enough to get you started or that
someone else will come up with the proper term to find an internet
reference with pictures. You can carry tremendous amounts of
weight on these things.

Agreed, they work well. I leant on mine after installing it, it showed
no signs of moving.

This system has been described in at least 2 magazines over the past
few years. FWW was one, and I can't recall the other. Somebody with a
FWW index may be able to narrow it down, then maybe you can find it in
the local library.

Barry