Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sump pump burnt?

On 26 May 2007 12:05:32 -0700, "
wrote:

Last fall we had a major storm and were without power for several
days. I bought a generator and a portable, submersible sump.

The regular sump is acting strange...from time to time it stops
pumping, but if I unplug and replug it in, it starts to work again.
When I noticed it this morning, I decided to use the portable to help
pump out the volume of water that had accumulated. The portable sump
is not pumping, but the body of the unit heats up.

There doesn't appear to be much to service on the unit, but I wanted
to ask to see if there was a part or two that I may be able to replace
rather than toss an $80 pump after basically one use.

There is almost always more than those two choices. Sounds to me like
it is clogged. If there was flooding, maybe that brought in something
that normally isn't in the water. There are probably screws to open
in up. Look inside. If not clogged, See how well it spins when you
turn the impeller by hand. I don't know that it will coast after you
let go, but it should spin pretty easily when you are pushing it.

Then put on safety glasses and/or a face mask, position the motor so
it won't throw things at you or anything important and turn it on.
See if it spins, how well it spins, etc. turn it off,

Remember, if you didn't find a clog and maybe even if you did,
something piece of junnk it sucked up might be stuck in the impeller
where you can't see it, which might come loose at any time. Or if a
vane is cracked, part of it might break off. Not so likely but don't
get your face in there when it's running.

TIA.
Dave