Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default File handles for scrapers - wedge holes and ferrules

On 25 May 2007 15:09:22 -0700, LowEnergyParticle
wrote:

I've got 15 or so older way scrapers that I've cleaned up (straighten/
polish/sharpen) and I'd like to make wood handles for them.

I'd agree with what the others have said,

I've never been able to use a scraper with a file handle on it. Maybe
push scrapers, but for triangular scrapers (pulled sideways) I've never
had enough control that way. So my scrapers have longer "chisel style"
handles on them, not short "file handles".

A long, shallow taper reamer or broach should be in every toolbox (I've
a dozen of the things, I'm always using them). They also work well for
enlarging a straight round hole into a tapered round hole, before you
burn the tang in.

If you use hornbeam for handles, the stuff becomes fireproof once
charred. Burning in works, but only for a small depth - unless you
scrape the char off back to fresh timber between burns.

I make my ferrules from copper waterpipe, because I'm a cheapskate. I
mark three small divots around them and centre-punch them in with a
blunt punch. If I want a "rough tool" for on-site abuse, then I make a
shallow recess in the timber first with a hand-held countersink. The
grip of the divot isn't as tight, but it's going to work loose in the
future, not work right off.

Baking your handles out to be really dry before fitting the ferrules
gives a better grip. I leave mine on the fireplace hearth for a couple
of days first.

If you ever use epoxy, chances are that you ought to fill it with some
sort of filler, not just use it bare. You get a much more robust result.