Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander Jim Alexander is offline

Default Boiler swap?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Installed at the moment is a standard none condensing boiler, on a kitchen
wall and working absolutely fine - supplying heating and hot water via a
tank, with the usual header in the loft.

In my absence an installer has been along to price up for replacing this
boiler with a new condensing type, without specifying make, model or even
the type - though I would assume the type will be 'regular'.

As part of the installation the installer has quoted for the complete
replacement of the gas supply pipe all the way back to the meter, with no
explanation as to why this might be needed or necessary. Obviously I am
rather puzzled, as the existing pipe is not that old, put in during the
last major refit about twenty years ago and I would have thought perfectly
adequate. From memory it is 22mm from the meter to the corner where the
boiler plus cooker are, then drops down to 15mm for the final 1m or so to
the actual existing boiler.

Mentioned by the surveyor (all second hand information) was the running of
the new pipe around the outside of the house.

Now before I start shouting expletives at the surveyor down the phone, I
would appreciate some comments first on the above.

Firstly, can't help unless you say how long the existing pipe run is from
the meter to the boiler.

Secondly get some more quotes, not just to benchmark prices, but also
proposed method.

Jim A