Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default H&S Assessment

On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:00:24 +0100, Rod
mused:

The company I work for has just undergone a health and safety
assessment. One of the items to come up was the need to change two
double sockets in the small kitchen to ones that have integrated RCD
devices.

The kitchen is used for making tea, warming up the odd pasty in a
microwave or, when someone really pushes the boat out, toasting a slice
of bread. And there are only half a dozen or so staff.

1 There are actually three double sockets in the room. Not sure why only
two were mentioned. (Plus fridge and dishwasher - but they are hidden.)

2 There is a door leading out onto a small patio. So I guess you could
argue that devices used outdoors could be plugged in there. But this
would equally apply to the hall/entrance area.

3 The wiring isn't exactly old - maybe 12 years.

Maybe ask the person that wrote the report?

What priority have they given the note? I can only see it being a
recomendation.

I have not checked whether the circuits are protected by RCDs, and, if
so, what rating. For the purposes of getting an answer, I would assume
that they are protected. (I can see the argument if the circuits were
not protected - but wouldn't it actually make more sense to fit whole
circuit protection?) So far as I am aware, the circuits are sound and we
do not get nuisance trips.

I imagine all sockets would include a 30 mA device.

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were no RCD protection, many
commercial installations only have RCD's on actual outdoor sockets,
everything else on MCB's only.

And this is in England, in case that makes any difference.

So - what is the justification for providing this extra level of
protection?

I really can't see everyone testing the RCD every time they plug the
kettle in. Would fitting them really make any difference to safety?

Why would testing them everytime the ketle is plugged in make it any
more or less safer?
--
Regards,
Stuart.