Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Adding a keypad to a home alarm system

"Elephant" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

I'm hoping someone here might have some expertise with this issue.
I recently bought a house with a pre-installed ADT alarm system. System
was
installed in 2000. User manual says it is either a VIA-30PSE or a
Vista-10SE. I believe it is the latter. It has a single 6127/6128
keypad
in the house. The semi-detached garage has a motion detector. I would
like
to add another keypad to the garage, since getting into/out of the
car/pulling in/pulling out/opening/shutting the garage door before the
entry/exit delay is proving to be a bit of a push. . Right now, I have
that zone bypassed, but this is a
pain, not only because I WANT protection out there, but also because
(apparently) you have to BYPASS the zone EACH TIME re-activate the
system. I've run all kinds of wiring & am not concerned with the
technical
aspects of installing the keypad, but I'm wondering what keypad to get.
6128
keypads are
available used on Ebay, new ones are surprisingly expensive.
Also, all I have is the fairly useless from a technical standpoint user
manual. Is there any technical info online, as to how & where to connect
2nd pad to the system?

Thanks

Dan

These panels are made by ADEMCO. They are connected by a four conductor
wire. Inside, the wire colors are red, black, yellow & green. Adding
the 2nd keypad is very easy.

Inside the main control box, usually located in a utility room, you'll
see where the other keypad is connected. It's actually marked on the
circuit board. Simply connect the 2nd keypad to the same screws that
the other keypad are connected to, keeping the color code the same for
each wire.

As far as cable to use, you can pick up 4 wire telephone cable pretty
cheap at a place like home depot.

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. It is an Ademco unit, I thought I
had that in the post, but obviously not. I had searched for manuals, but
all I came up with were owner's manuals, which I already have. Tried again
now though & found an installation manual, I feel kinda dumb for having
missed it ;-/

Dan