Old Nick

Default Chain tensioner ideas

On 24 Mar 2004 08:49:54 GMT, a (Dave Baker) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Plastic tensioners are the standard method for cam chain drives in engines but
of course it's clean and well lubricated in there. Also such tensioners are
only used on the slack side of the chain. If you need to tension the drive side
of a chain the tensioner will have to withstand a fair amount of force. A
sprocket on a substantial bearing would seem to be the only way. Given that you
might as well make two.

hmmmm...yes. When I was farting about with the thing yesterday, I
realised that I cannot expect to control the tight side of the chain.
I may have to redesign the frame a bit :-. I expected to be able to
"squeeze" the chain through the frame, but this would take a serious
sprocket setup on the "working" side. Better to give the chain more
clearance, and only tension on the slack side.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?