Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default H&S Assessment

"Rod" wrote in message
The company I work for has just undergone a health and safety assessment.
One of the items to come up was the need to change two double sockets in
the small kitchen to ones that have integrated RCD devices.

The kitchen is used for making tea, warming up the odd pasty in a
microwave or, when someone really pushes the boat out, toasting a slice of
bread. And there are only half a dozen or so staff.

1 There are actually three double sockets in the room. Not sure why only
two were mentioned. (Plus fridge and dishwasher - but they are hidden.)

2 There is a door leading out onto a small patio. So I guess you could
argue that devices used outdoors could be plugged in there. But this would
equally apply to the hall/entrance area.

3 The wiring isn't exactly old - maybe 12 years.

I have not checked whether the circuits are protected by RCDs, and, if so,
what rating. For the purposes of getting an answer, I would assume that
they are protected. (I can see the argument if the circuits were not
protected - but wouldn't it actually make more sense to fit whole circuit
protection?) So far as I am aware, the circuits are sound and we do not
get nuisance trips.

I imagine all sockets would include a 30 mA device.

And this is in England, in case that makes any difference.

So - what is the justification for providing this extra level of
protection?

I really can't see everyone testing the RCD every time they plug the
kettle in. Would fitting them really make any difference to safety?

If, in the event of a fault, the RCD in the socket is the first to trip it
should avoid the 'whole circuit' tripping. If the rest of the circuit
includes office computers and the like, this would make a lot of sense in
terms of the risk of lost work, corrupted files etc.

Is it a 'requirement' from the H&S inspection or a 'recommendation' ?