Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stubborn hose bib

On May 25, 4:21�pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
David Combs wrote:
In article ,
Speedy Jim wrote:

Big Al wrote:

Have a hose bib that needs to be replaced. Problem is it's tight and I'm
afraid if I twist it too hard something on the other side of the slump block
wall will let go or break. The hose bib has a flange where the pipe screws
on and it's almost against the block. So what should I do?

Al

I'm interperting your description as saying that the supply pipe screws
IN to the back of that flange, and you can verify that by peering behind
that flange and seeing some exposed threads.

I'd try this...

Shut off the water supply to it.

Remove the cap, handle and stem.

Heat it with a propane or Mapp gas torch while applying torque with a
pipe wrench placed over the body of the hose bib. The heat should help
break it free.

There's a chance that the threads I presumed you saw are not on a "pipe"
but are on a thread adaptor sweated to the end of a piece of copper
pipe. The heating may melt the solder and might just make that adaptor
come off along with the hose bib.

If that happens, don't sweat it, or rather DO sweat solder a new adaptor
onto the exposed end of the pipe and screw the new hose bib onto it.

What, by the way, *is* a hose bib?

Why are you asking that? You must know, you called it by its correct name.

Thanks!

David

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

ypur much better off replacing the guts, so whats wrong with the valve
assembly, leak around the handle? tighten packing nut 1/2 turn