Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Adding a keypad to a home alarm system

In article ,
Dan wrote:
I'm hoping someone here might have some expertise with this issue. I
recently bought a house with a pre-installed ADT alarm system. System
was installed in 2000. User manual says it is either a VIA-30PSE or a
Vista-10SE. I believe it is the latter. It has a single 6127/6128
keypad in the house. The semi-detached garage has a motion detector. I
would like to add another keypad to the garage, since getting into/out
of the car/pulling in/pulling out/opening/shutting the garage door
before the entry/exit delay is proving to be a bit of a push. . Right
now, I have that zone bypassed, but this is a pain, not only because I
WANT protection out there, but also because (apparently) you have to
BYPASS the zone EACH TIME re-activate the system. I've run all kinds of
wiring & am not concerned with the technical aspects of installing the
keypad, but I'm wondering what keypad to get. 6128 keypads are
available used on Ebay, new ones are surprisingly expensive. Also, all I
have is the fairly useless from a technical standpoint user manual. Is
there any technical info online, as to how & where to connect a 2nd pad
to the system?

With mine (not the same make) the instructions for installing a remote
keypad were in the installation instruction manual *and* with the remote
itself. But it sounds like the installers haven't left the installation
manual.

Mine required a 6 core cable and the insertion of an IC (supplied) in a
socket in the main board. All easy peasy if you're used to this sort of
thing, but I'd guess not if not. I'd expect a modern one to be easier
though with less wires needed.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW