Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket behind full-length window curtain.... allowed?

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message

In my new extension, I'd like to have a socket hidden behind one of
the the full-length curtains at one window. Is there any rule against
that? Just wondered if it is considered a fire risk or anything.

Not unless you plug an electric fire into the socket and cover that with the
curtains. A socket behind the curtains is fine.

I have some sockets positioned like this, and I tend to avoid using
them with plugs with integral electronics such as wall warts, X10
controllers, as a fault in one of these could become significantly
more serious if draped with flammable materials.

Although I don't think much of US regs, they do have some good ones
regarding number and positions of sockets. Can't recall precise
details, but something like you must be able to plug in an appliance
with a 6' cord which is positioned anywhere around the edge of the
room without the flex crossing a doorway.

--
Andrew Gabriel