Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Boiler swap?

On Fri, 25 May 2007 17:12:19 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

As part of the installation the installer has quoted for the complete
replacement of the gas supply pipe all the way back to the meter, with
no explanation as to why this might be needed or necessary. Obviously I
am rather puzzled, as the existing pipe is not that old, put in during
the last major refit about twenty years ago and I would have thought
perfectly adequate. From memory it is 22mm from the meter to the corner
where the boiler plus cooker are, then drops down to 15mm for the final
1m or so to the actual existing boiler.

Our old non-condensing boiler had 22mm for most of the distance, then
15mm for the last 2 metres. The new condensing one needed 22mm
throughout, so the guy just replaced the 15mm part. That seems fair
enough - if that much gas is needed at time, then so be it.

Perhaps he's trying to factor the cooker out of the equation because the
pressure at the boiler would fall below minimum if the cooker was in
use. Or perhaps he wants a less obstructed run to keep the pressure
higher.

(I am not a gas engineer; these are just my observations and what the
guy said to me)

http://www.diybanter.com